Thursday, January 29, 2009

a more modern psalm

O my Lord, what is this feeling in my heart? this ache that longs to feel his hands, his skin, his lips on mine... all previously forsaken things.

how deep is this sin, that overwhelms my mind and makes my broken soul long for fulfillment?

and what cost, dear Lord, would it take for me to be free from this? i know my tears, my blood, my futile sacrifices are of no value to you so long as it is my heart that i keep from your sacrifical fire.

O save me, my God, for i am too weak to seek freedom from these chains. for only you hold the key to the lock that binds them to me.

but i remember your goodness and your kindness. your love and truth. the girls you have sent and your people that i am called serve.

Praise be to the Lord my God for I am not yet consumed because of his great mercy. your promises are new every morning! great is your faithfulness!

and i realize that these chains, burdensome and painful, are given by you to burn through the dross of character.

seek me and know my heart. teach me ways in which i can give more and more to you.
keep your servant from secret faults and lead me, my Lord, in ways everlasting.

No comments: